We are back in Bangkok now and the first thing we needed to do was find an apartment. I had three requirements:
1. It needed to be close to Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital.
2. It must have a swimming pool. It’s hot and I’m pregnant. This was non-negotiable.
3. Good internet connection.
We used the Thai Apartment website to get a general idea of what was available in the area and then made a list of the best possibilities, sorted by their distance from the Phrom Phong sky train station. We also found quite a few “room for rent” signs while out walking in the area.
1. Electricity is not included in the rent. Prices we saw ranged from 4 to 8 baht per unit and this can add up fast if you are going to be spending a lot of time at home with the air conditioning on. Water is also charged at between 18-20 per unit.
2. Some of the apartments we saw would be difficult, if not impossible, to reach on foot as they are located on busy streets with no footpath. I’ve already been hit by the side mirror of car while walking to the hospital and this was not something that I wanted to repeat.
3. WIFi is not always free or unlimited. Make sure you know what you are getting.
4. Most places were asking for a 6 month lease and prices were much higher for a month-to-month contract. While there is nothing to stop you from breaking the lease, you will lose your deposit.
5. Kitchen may be nothing more than a sink, frig and microwave.
Our Bangkok Apartment
And the winner was. . . PP Plus Mansion, just off of Sukhumvit 71. At 14,000 baht per month plus electricity, it was a little more than we had planned but I fell in love with the swimming pool. Just to the right of the pool, there is a small gym and a patio area with a pool table.
There is a grocery shop within walking distance and a 7-11 just around the corner.
More apartments in the same area
The Contemp 7000 – 9500 baht studio. We almost chose this place.
Pornphirun Place 7,000 baht studio.
El Patio 20,000 baht 1 bedroom. These were beautiful apartments but very difficult to get to without a car or motorbike.